Support staff of yesterday will type, take orders, perform filing, attend to visitors and make phone calls for bosses. But the demands made of today’s secretaries and administrators are different – they are expected to juggle multiple tasks, be proactive, manage time, people and problems, communicate for results, think on their feet and relate well to people at all levels.
On completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Perform their duties and responsibilities to the required standards of the profession
- Establish a productive and co-operative partnership with supervisors, peers others with whom they work
- Interact and relate effectively with both the internal and external publics
- Effectively set priorities and manage time
- Practise effective problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Perform their office administration responsibilities with greater effectiveness and efficiency
- Understanding Your Role:
- What distinguishes a secretary or administrative professional from other office personnel?
- Qualities and attitudes sought in a secretary or administrative professional.
- What stage are you in?
- Understanding Professional Image and Behavior:
- Self image and presentation
- Addressing and calling of names
- Right choice of words for the role
- Sense of humor and candidness
- Handling the unexpected (positive and negative)
- Mastering the Art of Communication:
- Identifying who you are talking with
- Apply the right level of communication
- Key steps for an effective spoken communication
- Key steps for an effective written communication
- Using today Smart devices in communication
- Managing Interpersonal Relations at the Workplace:
- Working with superiors, colleagues, and subordinates with the “Right” styles
- Understanding the nature of small talks
- Dealing with the small talks
- Handling criticism at the workplace
- Developing Your Problem Solving And Decision Making Skills:
- Understanding your role in PSDM
- Learning to drive for a decision at meeting
- Analyzing the risks involved for the decision
- Prepare for plan B and explanation
- Getting Organized for Success:
- Managing your work effectively
- Learn how to prioritize and negotiate
- Learning to say no and offer alternatives
- Learn how to work in a meeting
This workshop is highly relevant to:
- Secretaries & Personal Assistants
- Executives Administrative / Clerical Officers
- Senior officers in government agencies wishing to develop their skills
“The way the instructor conduct the class is very interesting and it really related to my real life working experience.”
– Administrative Manager , Land Transport Authority
“Catherine can capture the hearts of all participants & keep us alert. Nobody will fall asleep as she is a real good speaker.”
– Secretary, ASIS International
“Catherine encourages the participants to share their experiences. She’s very knowledgeable and able to tell us good examples.”
– Management Support Officer, Nanyang Polytechnic
Catherine Syn has conducted both public and in-company seminars and workshops in Secretarial & Office Administrative Practices, Business Correspondence, Report, Proposal and Minutes Writing, Customer Service, Handling Complaints & The Difficult Customer, Teambuilding, Time & Stress Management, Communication & Relationship Management. She has been working closely with individual client companies on the development and design of training programmes to their specific organisation’s training and developmental needs. An approved lecturer with the Singapore Ministry of Education, Catherine studied Business in Australia, was a Corporate Member of the Institute Of Administrative Management (U.K.) and a WDA ACTA certified trainer for WSQ courses including Certified Service Professional. She has held the positions of Executive, Manager, Corporate Trainer and Consultant for the past three decades.
Since 1990, she has been training management professionals, managers, executives, secretarial, administrative, front-line sales, engineering, operations and service staff of both public and private sectors in Singapore, ASEAN and China. As an experienced trainer, she has successfully applied service qualities principles and competency assessments in all her communication courses in the areas of business writing, face-to-face communication, customer service, managing difficult customer-situations using effective interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills. A versatile and bi-lingual trainer, she relates well to all participants and has excellent delivery and presentation skills that meet the motivational needs of each and every participant.
Among the many companies she has provided training for, some of them are: Ritz Carlton, Swiss Hotel Merchant Court, Marina Mandarin, Becton Dickenson, Sony Asia Pacific, NTU, Singapore, Ngee Ann and Nanyang Polytechnics, ZhengHua Primary School, Carrier Transicold, Marsh Brokers, China Taiping Insurance, AIA, Etiqa, Liberty Insurance, SIA, Komatsu, DSO, DFS, NYK, AET Tankers, Du Pont, Senoko Power, John Crane, Hewitt, SembCorp Marine, Nippon Express, Nippon Koa, German Centre, Tanaka Electronics, SOXAL, Speedy Tech, NatSteel, Philips Singapore, Teck Wah, PSA, LTA, HDB, CPF, DSTA, RSAF, MCMD, Ministry Of Education, Traffic Police, Ministry of Home Affairs, GSMB, CSIT, CAAS, CIAS, SATS, LTA, A-Star, Toshiba, AWWA, SingStat, Department of Statistics, Crown Worldwide, Schenker, Keppel Shipyard, Alpine Engineering Services, Sanmina-SCI, Geotronics, ABB Industry, ICPAS, Loreal, Shisedo, Sa Sa Cosmetics, Cummins Diesel, EM Services, Esmaco, M1, Sankyu, Snap-On Tools, Makino, Bureau Serve, PerkinElmer Singapore, ST Aerospace Engineering, Chartered Semiconductors, AGC Flatglass, Hunting Energy, Orange Business, Cristofori, LF Contennial, Wah Yang Production, Malayan Natural Liquidfied Petroleum & Gas in Sarawak, Coca-Cola In Thailand, Maldives International Airport and MNCs in China.