Presentational Skills & Storytelling Techniques – Start embracing storytelling to engage, influence, and bring your ideas to life
Influential people are confident, confidence draws others in, and storytelling helps you to engage them at deeper, more emotional levels. Storytelling therefore enables you to present your message in much more compelling, memorable, and persuasive ways; it’s powerful.
That’s all very well though, until you’re asked to stand up and speak!
The very thought of rising up in front of others to present, often causes fear to course through the veins. It does for most people, doesn’t it? To an extent a few of those fears may be justified, though many are unfounded; only a small handful of presentations turn out to be formal affairs, with large audiences.
Most of the time and for most people, presentations are more “routine” and less formal, e.g. sharing in small impromptu gatherings, status updates at team meetings, delivering project progress reports, putting forward ideas to Management, or discussing proposals with Clients.
Routine perhaps, yet they’re all ideal opportunities to influence and persuade others, aren’t they?
Though your fears may feel real, with a renewed mind set and an injection of a few skills, those fears can be supplanted by a new-found faith & confidence in your own capability. That is what this Workshop intends to do.
This Workshop therefore takes an emotionally intelligent approach to presenting. Our focus attends to those fears, to mindfully harness them, blend in critical presentational techniques, and then, sharpen with a few ideas revolving around storytelling. To achieve this, we’ll provide a creatively authentic space that affords Participants much scope for safe, enjoyable, practice.
Our intentions are to boost your ability to feel, look, and sound confident when presenting material in smaller group settings. We’ll adopt a storytelling approach, so you can use presentation times as relaxed moments to influence and persuade others.
You’ll use the skills to engage emotionally, and express confidently, and so bring your ideas to life. You’ll come to realise that skills developed for small, impromptu, presentational settings, are also valid for more formal presentations.
Emotional intelligence or EQ sits well at the heart of this soft skills Workshop, as you move the focus of your energies from your internal self, to your external audience.
- Acknowledging initial emotions, to focus early actions
- Embracing personal emotions, and feeling more grounded
- Harnessing Emotional Intelligence, and enhancing empathy
- Choosing a structure that quickly shapes for control and flow
- Attending to the body language, to project positive impressions
- Speaking with a more resonant, more confident sounding, voice
- Actively eliciting and handling questions from the audience
- Exploring elements of storytelling, and infusing them
FACILITATION APPROACH FOR LEARNING
This is an experiential Workshop, which emphasises engagement, interaction, and practice. Participants should expect short presentations that introduce content, experiential activities for skills practise, and group discussions for reflection that deepens their learning.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THIS WORKSHOP?
This one-day Workshop is designed for people at all levels who need to give talks and make presentations, whether informal & spontaneous sharings, or, more formal & prepared talks.
- Really an interactive & fruitful session; really enjoyed it.
- Great speaker, engaging & approachable. Love the practical exercises
- Good that everyone is given opportunity to present and push out of their comfort zones.
- Great methods taught by Patrick to handle fear of presenting to a group of unknown audiences.
- Patrick has demonstrated very good & clear positive messages in one’s body language, and the do’s and don’ts of presentation skills & techniques.
- It was a great session, as it provided me with insights on storytelling techniques which I could inject into my teaching material.
- No complaints, love the interactions. I love to be given chances to make mistakes, that’s how I learn.
- Great course. I would strongly recommend my staff to attend similar training in the future.
- A brilliant course, run by a knowledgeable professional. Thumbs up.
- It was a worthwhile trip for me to fly down from KL to Singapore.
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Mr. Patrick O’Brien, CMgr
With a constant appetite for change, Patrick came to realise one very important thing: it’s the People that matter in business, personal development and growth counts. His learning delivery approach therefore focuses on building those important soft skills. Training thus scaffolds atop three firm foundations.
First, for learning to stick, it needs to be fun; enjoyment & engagement are precursors to absorption & adoption. Next, for learning to be relevant, it has to be real; it needs collaboration, openness, and a little intensity. Finally, for learning to be desirable, it must match expectations; it has to substantially deliver what it says “on the tin”.
Patrick therefore designs Workshop experiences that masterfully combine Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) with a deep Coaching mentality. Both are invitingly interlaced using Improvisational techniques. His diverse background and experience also allow him to facilitate inclusive and valuable learning moments. These are highly engaging, empowering, and, enjoyable.
His life’s journey has straddled different countries and cultures in Ireland, England, New Zealand and Singapore. He has worked his way through a variety roles, from individual contributor to Managing Director, in the corporate world. And, he has built considerable business experience along the way in working across sectors such as government, technology, manufacturing, finance, consulting, aviation, telecommunications and the Internet.
His formal education is well rounded: Honours in IT, Masters in Marketing and MBA in Finance. He is also a “Master Practitioner” of NLP, and an enthusiastic author with Articles regularly appearing in the local media. In whatever form you experience his work, you’ll always feel his curiously cheerful sense of enjoyment; it shines through.
Patrick is an active member of many international Professional bodies, such as the Chartered Management Institute, the Chartered Institute of Marketing and the Institute of Directors. He is proud to be one of only a small handful of “Chartered Managers” in Asia.
With a warm Irish wit, a love of the “craic” and a big beaming smile, audiences in over twenty-five countries have found his disarmingly unpretentious and conversational approach to learning, to be refreshing and rewarding experiences.