Managing Problematic Discussions for a Positive Outcome
- Turning problematic conversation into an effective dialogue.
The workplace is a complicate place; it is impossible to live a life without discussion and confrontation. For various reasons very often, discussions and confrontation may turn to be very challenging and problematic. Confrontational discussions are normally the reason of many conflicts, which can influence your effectiveness and well-being. The way you communicate is the primary determinant of whether the person you are interacting with will listen and think about what you say, be indifferent to it, or fight against it. A lot of conflicts in the workplace can be eliminated through the use of specific language techniques that encourage working together rather than creating ugly confrontation. Some ways of communicating increase friction and anger; other ways motivate people to work with you and not against you. Often the people we label difficult or problematic, including ourselves, just don’t know any better; we may not know how to act differently, or how to deal with a specific situation that is causing us discomfort. Problematic discussions can only be handled when we have a good knowledge of our emotional-ability, conversational-ability and relational-ability. In this workshop we aim to equip you with enough learning and practical tools which will help you to face problematic discussions and general conflicts with confidence and emotional balance. After the course, you will hopefully be able to contribute in a very effective way to healthier and fulfilling relationships, both at work and at home.
- You can understand what is your responsibility in what is happening during a challenging discussion, and your healthy options.
- You can learn a new empowering, more effective way of communicating.
- You can master some new strategy in order to handle challenging discussions.
- You can learn how to prevent challenging discussion in the first place.
- You will discover why been assertive is not offensive, but actually respectful because an essential skill in order to contribute to a desired outcome.
- You can experience how to apply the learning with the help of cases study.
- Understand how you contribute to problematic discussions and what to do about it.
- Learn about your emotional-ability.
- Appreciate the 5 key assumptions about conflicts and master your mind.
- Identify the benefit of resolution.
- Learn the core strategies you need in order to handle Challenging Discussions.
- Understand why listening is the Most Challenging Skill to Master.
- Assimilate the main principles of defusing hostile conversation.
- Recognize the great difference between hostility Vs. assertiveness, and blame Vs. accountability.
- Acquire co-operative & mutual understanding communication.
- Apprehend the 3 steps involved in constructive-problematic-conversation-resolution.
Participants will experience the theory and the practice of what they will learn with the use of:
- Group Discussion & Sharing.
- Personalised Coaching.
- Case Study.
- Training Manuals.
- Video clips.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Managers at any level
- Sales, marketing and service personnel
- Employees at any level
- Team Leaders
- Projects co-coordinators
- Anyone who wish to learn about this specific topic
“Leonardo is sincere open and honest in his delivery. A truly enjoyable and inspirational workshop.”
– Manager, Resort World Singapore
“Love the interactions we had in the class. Leonardo’s personal stories and experiences added much colour & richness to the class.”
– Director, National Institute of Education
“Interesting and Motivating Course!”
– Manager, MCC Land
“The course enables me to relate to my work environment and how to effectively manage my staff.”
– Manager, MCC Land
“Very good presentation and engagement by Leonardo Talpo. Great course!”
– Lecturer, Republic Polytechnic
ABOUT THE TRAINER
NLP Master Practitioner
Leonardo is an energetic Training Facilitator, Relationships Counsellor & Personal Coach whose sense of humour together with his relaxed and confident style can be of real inspiration to his clients and audiences.
In the corporate environment he is an expert in the area of ‘Communication-Relationships at Work’ & ‘Emotional Competence’. He brings to his clients his creativity and experience in the business world, blended with the wisdom and experience gained through his own life challenges and his several studies in the area of human development.
By combining his knowledge in Psychology, Counselling and NLP coaching techniques, together with his long term business experience in the corporate world, Leonardo has the capacity to help people, business executives and companies to create solutions to today’s challenges of retention, recruitment, work-life balance, stress, relationship conflict and burnout. Leonardo’s passion is to promote cultures where individuals thrive to be efficient and productive, while taking care of their health and wellbeing.
Leonardo has twenty years of professional experience as a senior executive in the corporate business. A native Italian, he has lived in Singapore since 1995, and traveled extensively for business in Asia-Pacific, the Middle East and Europe. Through his international exposure, he has developed a deep understanding of several cultures, becoming a real expert in multiculturalism.
Leonardo has trained people from:
NUS – National University of Singapore;
RC Hotels Pte Ltd;
SMU – Singapore Management University;
EMA (Energy-Market-Authority) Singapore;
Quintiles East Asia Pte Ltd;
Sanofi-Aventis Singapore Pte Ltd;
Singapore Prison Service;
Seagate Technology International;
Apple Computer Singapore;
Bovis Lend Lease Asia;
National Heritage Board;
McGraw-Hill Education (Asia);
Singapore Technologies Kinetics Ltd;
DSO National Laboratories;
Keppel FELS Ltd;
Visentic Solutions Pte Ltd;
Cosmos Chemical (S) Co Pte Ltd – Singapore;
JTC Corporation Singapore;
Mitsui & Co. (Asia Pacific) Pte Ltd;
DHL In-House Consulting;
Rider Levett Bucknall – Singapore;
Siemens Medical Instruments;
Philip Morris Singapore Pte Ltd;
SIM – Singapore Institute of Management; Singapore Customs;
Total Oil Asia Pacific Pte Ltd;
Zuellig Pharma Singapore;
Lantiq Asia Pacific Pte Ltd.;
SingTel – Singapore