Employment Law 2016 – New Legislation and Stricter Enforcement
Key Changes to the Amended Employment Act with effect from 1 April 2016.
An Important MUST KNOW Guide to all the Key Changes for HR Practitioners, Busness Owners and Consultants
The Employment Act is the key legislation governing employer-employee relationship in Singapore. It spells out the basic terms and conditions of employment.
An up-to-date knowledge of the Employment Act will ensure that your organisation complies with the Act. In hiring foreign, local & part-time employees, many provisions of the Employment Act are relevant. The payment of salary, overtime, termination & dismissal are very critical issues when hiring foreign, local & part-time employees.
The Employment Act has been amended with effect from the 1 April 2016. The seminar will cover all the latest changes and amendments, and will provide an overview of the key sections of the Employment Act which are relevant to an employer’s rights and obligations.
By the end of the seminar, participants should be able to:
- Interpret and apply the Employment Act
- Understand the implications of the various provisions, and its application
- The recent amendments and its pact
Key Features of the Employment Act
- Who does the Act provide cover for?
- Does the Act cover Executives and Managers?
- Recent interpretation & amendments to the Act
Contract of Service
- Definition of contract of service
- Does the contract of service applies to foreign, local and part-time employees?
- Difference between contract of service and contract for service
Payment of Salary
- When and how salary is paid?
- When and how salary will be paid upon termination and dismissal
- What are authorised deductions and their limitations?
- Key points to note when deducting salaries
Conditions of Service pursuant to the Employment Act
- Hours of work for a non-shift work and a shift work employee
- Entitlement of annual leave
- Sick leave & hospitalisation leave entitlement
- Are employees entitled to retrenchment & retirement benefits?
- Key guidelines on annual wage supplement
- Importance of basic and gross rate of pay
- Key points to note when calculating payment for overtime, rest day and public holiday
Maternity Protection and Benefits
- What are the maternity benefits available?
- Restrictions to maternity benefits
- Can an employee be dismissed during her maternity leave?
- Arrangement of confinement leave between employer and employee
- Maternity benefits for foreign employees
- When will maternity benefits be forfeited?
- Conditions for childcare leave for foreign, local and part-time employees
- Conditions for termination with notice & without notice
- When is there a breach of contract?
- Salary payment upon resignation, dismissal or termination
Part-time employment regulations
- Key points to note when hiring part-time employees
- How to calculate the payment of salary and overtime?
- Deductions allowed for part-time employees under the Act
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
All persons in organizations, whether large or small companies or small business owners who are responsible for the employment of one or more employees. These include Company Directors, HR Directors and Managers, Administrative Officers and Company Secretaries.
Those who are employees will also find the course useful as it is important to understand their rights and obligations.
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Mr David Shanmugam holds a Bachelor of Law degree from the University of London and Master of Business Administration degree from Victoria University. He has many years of legal experience in the private sector and is presently working in a law firm. David is also an Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
Over the years, he has conducted legal training for the corporate sector on various practical legal issues facing the corporate field and lectured for many training institutions on Business and Company Law. His forte is in the field of corporate and commercial drafting of contracts, including company matters. David has also conducted legal training programmes for the Singapore Association Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators.