Comtemporary Business Writing
- Take Your Writing to the Next Level: A Skill for Executives and Managers
Business writing, like public speaking, ranks top on the fear list. Many professionals fear putting their thoughts and feelings into print. Yet, far too many people just throw words out on the assumption that those reading it will be able to make sense of out of it. If you are in a managerial position, you cannot make this assumption as your whole business depends on the way you communicate your message. There is an old proverb that reminds us, “Words fly away; writing remains.” What you put down on paper or communicate electronically may not fade away soon; those words may last far longer than you intended and may go much farther.
The number one prerequisite for effective management is effective communication and writing is a critical part of it. Whether you are writing a quick e-mail or a 100-page report, as a manager, your writing is a reflection of you and your reader will make judgements accordingly. This result-oriented and high-impact workshop will provide you with everything you need to give your colleagues, customers, and other stakeholders the most information accurately and swiftly. This workshop will also teach you to express yourself as a serious professional by writing everything with clarity, quality and decisiveness.
By the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- Prime questions to ask prior writing
- Apply the MACJ Stage writing process to create a fast draft
- How to jump in and out during your writing process
- The inverted pyramid writing structure to promote cohesion of thought
- 7 lines or less in a paragraph
- Revise content tone to achieve intended outcome
- Use Staccato short words to grab attention
- Create impactful subject lines to boost your email open rates
- Tailor your message to fit your audience
- Write opening and closing lines within a few minutes
- Write to express, not to impress
- Demonstrate Emotional Intelligence while saying “No” or sending a negative message
- Use quick and easy editing strategies to avoid embarrassing mistakes
- Acquire a painless method to remember and apply the 12 tenses
The writing process
- Break up your work into the MACJ Stages
- Brainstorm for ideas
- Two different structures for writing persuasive and informative emails
- Craft sentences with confidence
- Analyze for clarity and coherence
- Use an appropriate tone to match purpose
- Use words to be polite yet assertive
Impactful subject lines to increase open rates
- Summarize your message in one to two eye saccades
- One subject at a Time
- What’s In It For Me?
- Flash your USP
- Use Questions
Easy strategies to begin and close an email
- Quick and Friendly Opening Lines
- Phrases for Closing
Quick editing tips
- Understand the 12 tenses at one blow
- Remove redundant words
- Create concise and concrete sentences
- Use modern business English
- Time yourself
- Don’t edit as you go
- Don’t wait for inspiration
- Write a persuasive message fast and accurately
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This workshop is highly relevant for executives and those in the managerial level.
This is a fast action-oriented workshop comprising analysis of writing samples, writing tasks, group discussions and fun activities. Participants will be constantly challenged and checked to measure their ability to handle the various types of business writing.
Not only did I learn to write correctly, I learned to double the speed of my proofreading. The best part is that I am still able to produce accurate and clear reports during my practice sessions in the workshop. I am very satisfied especially with the immediate results! A very knowledgeable trainer.
Mellissa Ava Lee. Nanyang Institute of Technology
The trainer used a step-by-step approach to teach us how to organize out thoughts and the different ways to structure sentences clearly, logically and concisely. A very patient trainer who slowed down every time to explain whatever questions that were put forward. Thank you very much Sandra Daniel for all your guidance. I learnt a lot from you.
Alvin Song. Singapore Police Force
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Meet the Industry Expert: Ms Sandra Daniel
Sandra Daniel is an ACTA-Certified trainer and an associate adult educator. She holds a Master in Science in Training and Development from University of Leicester. Sandra, a master practitioner with the American Board of NLP, has a profound ability to bring the best out of people. She revolves her training around practicality and simplicity, arming participants with skills to instantly apply. She is a dynamic and entertaining trainer/speaker in areas of communication strategies, leadership management as well as personal and organization productivity.
As a corporate trainer, she has been guiding various statutory boards, government-based organizations and private business enterprises in recognizing opportunities to function proficiently in competitive environments. Some of her workshops and public seminars include clients from diverse industries namely Citibank, State Courts, Singapore Police Force, Singapore Tourism Board, Ministry of Home Affairs, DBS bank, Citibank, Ministry of Defence, Singapore Armed Forces, Ministry of Manpower, Singapore General Hospital, Housing & Development Board, Land Transport Authority, Central Provident Funds Board, Hilton Hotel and Neptune Orient Lines.
Apart from being a corporate trainer, Sandra is an adjunct lecturer with Singapore Institute of Technology and Singapore University of Social Sciences. She designs, develops and lectures topics on Negotiation and Relationship Management, Conflict Resolution, Communication, Integrated Thinking for Problem Solving and Decision Making, Speed Reading and Critical Thinking for Academic Writing, Research Methodologies and Transformational Leadership Skills.
Sandra provides a platform for industries to operate within various effective frameworks that integrate growth and success. Her real-world experiences with these clients place her in a better strategic position as a corporate trainer as she stays current on issues to cultivate specific skills and knowledge related to promoting employee development.
Sandra regularly contributes articles on management and communication skills as well as effective learning strategies to Straits Times Recruit.
To date, Sandra authored and co-authored several books namely, How to Think Critically with Sun Tzu Art of War Stratagems, Impactful Academic Writing, Extremely Busy People’s Guide to Read Faster and Memorize Better and Think Clearer.