Assertiveness Skills for Front-Line Professionals
- Assert appropriately and confidently at work
Assertiveness is based on a philosophy of personal responsibility and an awareness of the rights of other people. To be assertive means to be honest with yourself and others, having self respect and respect for other people. It means having confidence in yourself and being positive while understanding others’ point of view. More importantly, being assertive means being able to negotiate and reach workable compromises when dealing with others. This course shows you how to cultivate Assertive Skills at work when you are dealing with internal and external customers in stressful situations.
By the end of this course, you will be able:
- To be assertive in a way that allows you to say more directly what you really think or feel without denying the thoughts, needs or feelings of other people
- To know what actually happened in a difficult situation and how to handle such situations positively
- To disagree with others without getting aggressive
- To deal with criticism, objection, anger, and upset customers
- To get more of what you want, feel good about yourself and your behaviour
- What is Assertiveness – meaning and beliefs?
- Why are people Submissive or Passive?
- Body language in Assertiveness
- Characteristics of the Assertive Person
- Assertion versus Aggression – case studies on the best approach
- Active listening skills to grasp the feelings and facts
- Managing conflicts – working towards a “Win-Win” Approach
- Respecting the rights of others
- Knowing when to let go gracefully
- Tips on saying “No” and how to do so properly
- Dealing with the Aggressive Person to get co-operation
- Acting assertively on the job to be “That Professional In Practice”!
- Summary and back-at-work commitment plan
A highly interactive adult-focused programme with plenty of real-life scenario discussion, sharing, case studies, role-plays on different customer/colleague behaviours, games, quizzes and question/constructive feedback sessions.
All staff who place service paramount to their continued success, especially front-line service and sales personnel who have to deal with customers regularly in the course of work.
“We are delighted to have attended your training. Your good understanding of our work context and the interesting ways which you delivered the important messages attracted our attention and learning. The value-added service pointers gave us a firm foundation to model and learn from.”
– Manager, Nanyang Polytechnic
“The case studies, examples and service role playing are very applicable to our line of work. Catherine understands our job nature well and is able to provide practical skills for us to apply in our daily work.”
– Customer Service Manager, Mobile One
“It has been fun and insightful to learn skills which are applicable to my line of work.”
– Customer Service Executive, International Hotel Chain
“Catherine was very positive and engaging and has had great experience in all aspects of this course. Perfect!”
– Manager, Coca-Cola International (Thailand)
“I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation for the excellent training you had conducted for us. The workshop was engaging. fulfilling and interactive. I found it beneficial and would apply the skills learnt in the workplace.”
– Sales Manager, Sony Asia Pacific
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Catherine Syn has conducted both public and in-company seminars and workshops in Secretarial & Office Administrative Practices, Business Correspondence, Report, Proposal and Minutes Writing, Customer Service, Handling Complaints & The Difficult Customer, Teambuilding, Time & Stress Management, Communication & Relationship Management. She has been working closely with individual client companies on the development and design of training programmes to their specific organisation’s training and developmental needs. An approved lecturer with the Singapore Ministry of Education, Catherine studied Business in Australia, was a Corporate Member of the Institute Of Administrative Management (U.K.) and a WDA ACTA certified trainer for WSQ courses including Certified Service Professional. She has held the positions of Executive, Manager, Corporate Trainer and Consultant for the past three decades.
Since 1990, she has been training management professionals, managers, executives, secretarial, administrative, front-line sales, engineering, operations and service staff of both public and private sectors in Singapore, ASEAN and China. As an experienced trainer, she has successfully applied service qualities principles and competency assessments in all her communication courses in the areas of business writing, face-to-face communication, customer service, managing difficult customer-situations using effective interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills. A versatile and bi-lingual trainer, she relates well to all participants and has excellent delivery and presentation skills that meet the motivational needs of each and every participant.
Among the many companies she has provided training for, some of them are: Ritz Carlton, Swiss Hotel Merchant Court, Marina Mandarin, Becton Dickenson, Sony Asia Pacific, NTU, Singapore, Ngee Ann and Nanyang Polytechnics, ZhengHua Primary School, Carrier Transicold, Marsh Brokers, China Taiping Insurance, AIA, Etiqa, Liberty Insurance, SIA, Komatsu, DSO, DFS, NYK, AET Tankers, Du Pont, Senoko Power, John Crane, Hewitt, SembCorp Marine, Nippon Express, Nippon Koa, German Centre, Tanaka Electronics, SOXAL, Speedy Tech, NatSteel, Philips Singapore, Teck Wah, PSA, LTA, HDB, CPF, DSTA, RSAF, MCMD, Ministry Of Education, Traffic Police, Ministry of Home Affairs, GSMB, CSIT, CAAS, CIAS, SATS, LTA, A-Star, Toshiba, AWWA, SingStat, Department of Statistics, Crown Worldwide, Schenker, Keppel Shipyard, Alpine Engineering Services, Sanmina-SCI, Geotronics, ABB Industry, ICPAS, Loreal, Shisedo, Sa Sa Cosmetics, Cummins Diesel, EM Services, Esmaco, M1, Sankyu, Snap-On Tools, Makino, Bureau Serve, PerkinElmer Singapore, ST Aerospace Engineering, Chartered Semiconductors, AGC Flatglass, Hunting Energy, Orange Business, Cristofori, LF Contennial, Wah Yang Production, Malayan Natural Liquidfied Petroleum & Gas in Sarawak, Coca-Cola In Thailand, Maldives International Airport and MNCs in China.