Understand the Psychology behind Dealing with Difficult People
How to Positively Handle Difficult People
“You’ve always got to work with the best if you can, and of course, the best are the best because they are different. They expect certain standards and they are usually very difficult people to work with.” Malcolm McDowell
Do you dread going to work or having to work together on an important project with some colleagues who drive up the wall? Are you surrounded by vicious backstabbers, sneaky idea stealers, lazy whiners, nitpicky control freaks and people who simply have nothing nice to say about you? If you are facing these situations then this workshop is for you.
In this result oriented workshop you will learn on how with your charm, power of influence and persuasion you could deal professionally with difficult colleagues, co-workers, bosses and customers. You will be taught to defang ‘poisonous’ people that you meet who are always figuring out ways to bring you down. This workshop will also show you strategies to defuse explosive situations, handle and head confrontations. With the right attitude and skills you will learn to encourage positive, health change and learn to work professionally with difficult people.
HOW TO ENGAGE AND WIN OVER NASTY CUSTOMERS, DEMANDING BOSSES AND UNCOOPERATIVE COLLEAGUES
- Distinguish and deal professionally with these difficult people: The Walking Dead, The Short Fuse, The Victim, The Egoistical, The Saboteurs and The Narcissistic.
- Understand the psychology of challenging people and how they “Hook” you
- Switch extremes into facts with the “Unhooking Technique”
- Move to problem solving to avoid getting into a “stuck mode” with a difficult individual
- Accentuate positive behaviour and neutralize negative ones
- Build trust and rapport with assertive communication
- Recognise attitudes, intentions and hidden agendas behind unreasonable actions to prevent getting “dragged down”
- Recognise what some non-verbal behaviours mean
- Identify and respond to logical fallacies
- Use the TKI model to resolve conflicts
Key Takeaways – Simple & Smart Tactics for Overcoming Difficult People at Work
- Recognize challenging behaviours
- Understand the psychology of difficult people and how misunderstandings arise.
- Classify the effects of difficult behaviours: positive and negative
- Identify what triggers your amygdala hijack state
- Manage your own emotional state before dealing with offensive behaviours
- Determine four possible different situations when dealing with a difficult person: win/win, win/lose, lose/win and lose/lose
- Respond assertively to offensive language and behaviour to achieve win-win outcome
- Learn 5 different responses to suit various conflicting situations
- Recognise invalid reasoning to build stronger arguments
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This hands-on workshop is an absolute MUST for anyone who has to deal with difficult people or difficult issues including:
- Human resource managers, team leaders, project leads, retail managers
- Educators, consultants, customer service representatives and people who negotiate
- Managers, supervisors, senior officers and senior officers, customer service and front line staff
- Sales professionals, customer service and administrative officers in charge of projects or front line enquiries
Sandra Daniel applied critical thinking skills to demonstrate how we reason and infer difficult behaviors. She also established how using the correct language assures a healthy outcome. Well done Sandra!
Melvin Teo. UniSIM
Sandra Daniel has provided many practical strategies when working with challenging people. I especially enjoyed the knowledge given on the underlying intents of difficult people. I am confident that I will be able to work far more efficiently without the stress with her simple and easy to use solutions.
Karen Thomas. Singapore Police Force
Sandra Daniel made the workshop fun and lively. She taught me to utilize assertive communication techniques to convey my viewpoints.
Agnes Lim. Singapore Polytechnic
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Sandra Daniel is an ACTA-Certified trainer and holds a Master in Science (Training and Development) from University of Leicester. She is a dynamic and entertaining speaker in areas of communication and speed reading.
As a corporate trainer, she has been guiding various statutory boards, government-based organizations and private business enterprises in recognizing opportunities to function proficiently in competitive environments. Some of her workshops and public seminars include clients from diverse industries namely Citibank, State Courts, Singapore Police Force, Singapore Prisons, Singapore National Employers Federation, Singapore Tourism Board, Ministry of Home Affairs, Kreuz Subsea Technologies Pte Ltd, Ministry of Home Affairs, Lonpac Insurance Bhd, Ministry of Manpower, Singapore General Hospital, Housing & Development Board, Land Transport Authority, Central Provident Funds Board, Bax Global, Lex Travel, Hilton Hotel and Singapore Polytechnic, Republic Polytechnic and Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
Apart from being a corporate trainer, Sandra is an adjunct lecturer with the following universities: Singapore Institute of Technology, UniSIM, University of Munich, and University of Liverpool. She designs, develops and lectures topics on Speed Reading and Critical Thinking for Academic and Work Success, Negotiation and Relationship Management, Sun Tze Art of War Conflict Resolution, Crisis Communication, Integrated Thinking for Problem Solving and Decision Making, Research Methodologies, Emotional and Social Intelligence to Communicate Effectively and Transformational Leadership Skills.
Besides lecturing Sandra is also a courseware developer for speed reading from the following Universities:
TUM (Asia) German Institute of Technology
University of Glasgow
Singapore Institute of Technology
University of Liverpool
University of Manchester
University of Newcastle
Sandra regularly contributes articles on management and communication skills as well as effective learning strategies to Straits Times Recruit. To date, Sandra authored and co-authored several books namely, How to Think Critically with Sun Tzu Art of War Stratagems, Impactful Academic Writing, Extremely Busy People’s Guide to Read Faster and Memorize Better and Think Clearer.