The Leader as Storyteller workshop: Improving your organizational motivation and productivity
- Nurture your heart, body, mind and soul and become highly productive and resourceful
What would you rather do, sit through another dry spell of bulleted powerpoint presentation full of pie charts and spreadsheets, or listen to a good story well delivered? Think too, what would have a greater impact on your staff, your customers and your competitors, a spreadsheet or a memorable story that illustrates the success of your organization?
Story telling is a uniquely human feature and one that has transcended all ages and civilization. In the modern business environment, the ancient art of storytelling has its relevance in getting across delicate and complex information in a succinct and effective manner. Howard Gardner, author of Multiple Intelligence mentioned that one of the most important quality of a leader in the 21st century is to be an excellent story teller. The ability to be an effective story teller using metaphors and parables is a skill that can be nurtured with the right initiation, intuition and internalization. In this entertaining and enlightening workshop you will be introduced to the concepts of how you can become an excellent story teller. You will learn on how you can extract information from other sources and adapt them to get your message across effectively. Everyone likes stories and stories that can inspire and motivate a person or a whole team speaks volume as a testament to the organization’s success. You will come to realize at the end of this workshop of how by enhancing your ability to narrate stories that can be translated into a business concept will boost your organizational and personal productivity and get people to sync with the mission and vision of the organization.
- Communicating organisation’s work, strategies and values
- Understand why story telling grabs attention and helps you get your message across
- Motivate and inspire people through storytelling
- Master the four types of stories used in business setting
- Getting people to really listen to your idea by formulating it into a story
- Become a more interesting and confident speaker by infusing your stories with the personal to highlight your vision and values
- Source for relevant information to formulate your story
- Know how to customize your stories with parables and metaphors that motivates people
- Solve problems and make effective decision by formulating it into a story
- Inspire people to achieve the organizational goal with simple story telling
- Learn excellent story telling from famous people – from Abraham Lincoln to Nelson Mandela
- Making your story tasty and juicy to inspire the people you lead
- Craft a selection of stories to tell at pivotal business moments and Create a positive work environment through story telling
- Developing the outline of the idea you want to impart to your followers
- The science of storytelling
- Introducing the four types of stories you need in business
- Creating a storyboard to formulate ideas
- How to find stories for work
- Working with acronyms, metaphors and parables
- Finding the best places to source for information
- Using pictures and photos to excite people’s imagination
- Telling stories that works for presentations, for change management, for sales, for values and vision, for coaching and mentoring and for your personal brand
- Learning to emotionally connect with people with story-telling
- How to translate the story told to productive behaviour
- How not to be insinuating and condescending when telling stories
- Using the right methodology to deliver your story
- Making story telling fun, interesting and exciting for people to hear and appreciate
- Use story-telling to transmit corporate values and to emotionally connect with your followers
- How to practice to perfection your story telling ability
- Overcoming stage fright and telling stories like a pro
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Department heads, managers, supervisors, marketing and sales professionals, entrepreneurs, business leaders, and anyone who is interested in the use of storytelling in organisations.
‘Daniel delivers the topic with ease and simplicity. This course is very approachable and motivational’
– Manager, Jurong Town Council
‘In just one day Daniel was able to teach us how to craft our own personal stories and experiences into powerful and engaging speeches.’
– Manager, Mount Elizabeth Hospital
‘After attending the course, we can certainly become natural speakers and excellent communicators through storytelling.’
– Business Executive, Sony International
‘We are all bombarded with multiple messages each day, so standing out from the crowd with a compelling story is becoming increasingly important. This course is highly recommended; it provides both great tips on how to give meaning to your story so you cut above the noise when creating your story.’
– Executive, Morgan Stanley
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Daniel Theyagu has been a corporate trainer and performance evaluator since 1989 and has conducted training for more than 500 organizations with his participants coming from more than 100 countries.
In his line of work, Daniel has specifically designed and delivery training programs for large MNCs, statutory boards, civil service and various non-profit organizations. His clients include – SPF, HDB, LTA, MOM, MHA, MINDEF, AVA, CPF, SAF, RSAF, RSN, DSTA, DSO, Singapore Supreme Court, The Law Society, SGH, Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Gleneagle Hospital and many more. At an international level, Daniel has trained people from more than 30 countries including – Mauritius, Malaysia, Indonesia, Maldives, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Kazakhstan, Russia, Estonia, Sweden, Finland, Holland, Norway, UK, USA, France, Germany, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Kenya, Gabon, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Bangladesh, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Mongolia and Thailand.
Daniel designed and delivered customize training program in areas of leadership, conflict resolution, negotiation skills, emotional intelligence, creative thinking, critical thinking, systems thinking, speed reading and memory enhancement. As a keynote speaker in conferences and seminars, Daniel is well known for his light-hearted and humorous approach to training by using metaphors and parables and engaging his participants actively throughout his training program.
Daniel Theyagu is the author of five books which includes ‘Making Memory Work for You’, Guide to Success in Studies without Tears or Fears’, ‘Developing True Leadership Potential’ etc and has written more than 300 articles that have been published in Straits Times and other magazines and journals. Daniel also regularly conduct radio talk shows with 938 Live [Singapore] and his workshops are featured regularly in the newspapers that attracts wide variety of participants.
As a keynote speaker in conferences and seminars, Daniel is well known for his light-hearted and humorous approach to training by using metaphors and parables and engaging his participants actively throughout his training program. He is also the adjunct lecturer with Singapore Institute of Technology and Nanyang Technological University. He is also the course chair for Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility for SIM University.