Coaching In the Moment
- A must-have skill for busy leaders to get work done and develop people at the same time with less time
The 5 simple steps that you learn in this 1-day workshop will equip you to:
- Engage your people to think and to speak their mind.
- Empower your people to develop their own solutions and the ownership to implement them.
- Enable your people because you coach them to fish for themselves and equip them with the skills for greater responsibilities.
Learn from Tan Swee Heng – The author of the “Coaching In The Moment — How busy leaders can make more impact with less time”.
Coaching is an essential skill, now and in the future. You cannot be a good leader if you do not coach. The Millennials and Gen Z in your team want to be coached. By 2020, they will make up at least 30% of our workforce and one of the top benefits that they look for is learning and growth opportunity. The older employees also require coaching to learn new skills and tasks. Your people are expecting you to use more coaching style.
With the 5 coaching steps, you will be able to coach anyone, anywhere and at anytime, in the moment, just when the need arises. It does not take much of your time, but the impact and benefits that your coaching brings to your people, your team and yourself will make this one day a worthy investment of your time and efforts.
At the end of the 1-day program, participants will be able to:
- Understand what is coaching
- Learn why it is critical to coach and know the repercussions when you do not coach
- Learn what is the coaching mindset
- Learn how to listen, ask questions and pause
- Learn how to give positive strokes
- Learn how to give affirmations and build confidence in others
- Know how to coach Millennials and Gen Z
- Know how to coach older employees
COACHING MADE SIMPLE
- What is coaching
- Why coach when you yourself have ‘no time’ or have ‘no patience to coach’
- What if you do not coach
THE COACHING MINDSET
- Your thinking controls your behaviours
- The Skill / Will Matrix
- Why difficult to listen 100%
- 6 ways to listen effectively
- How not to listen
- Practice listening skills
ASKING COACHING QUESTIONS
- Why asking questions is so key to coaching
- How to ask coaching questions
- Practice asking questions
THE IMPORTANCE OF THE PAUSE
- The importance of the pause
- How to create an effective pause
- How not to pause
CLAP TO AFFIRM
- The power of affirmation
- How to affirm your people and build their confidence
COACHING YOUNG AND OLDER EMPLOYEES
- The multi-generations workforce
- Keys to coaching the Millennials and Gen Z
- Keys to coaching the older employees in your team
- What are your takeaways?
- Determine the skills to practice
- Any manager, supervisor or team leader who wants to learn how to coach using practical steps that they can use immediately
- Any leader who want to be more effective in engaging, empowering and enabling other people
– Director, Regional Head of Human Resources
His willingness and desire to use real life examples brought out from the participants to illustrate and to reinforce his teaching aid. Inspiring. Excellent in generating interest and engaging participants.
– Manager, Internal Audit
I thoroughly enjoy the warming up, the interactions and role plays. Swee Heng has created a friendly and easy platform for us, thus enabling and drawing us to actively participate… Great work and keep it up!
– Sales manager, Singapore
His passion and competence in developing others is evident… His analysis and generous sharing of practical tips to support my self-development has been very insightful and useful to me.
– Department head, Singapore
I was really impressed by the sincerity and passion you had for sharing your knowledge. You are one of those rare trainers who teach from the heart.
– Director, Risk management, Singapore
I have already seen many positives that my team leader has taken from the course and it has certainly strengthened her confidence in the role she is performing.
– Regional Head, Finance
Swee Heng is a dynamic presenter and facilitator with a natural ability to engage his audience, spur their thinking and sustain positive energy throughout his session. He used concrete, relevant examples his audience could relate and presented them in a succinct and interactive fashion. It was great to witness how comfortable the audience was in opening up and sharing their ideas.
– Consulting executive, Singapore
The variety of learning tools used made the workshop a truly stimulating experience. A lot of thinking was triggered ..
– Business executive, Hong Kong
Swee Heng is like a treasure box which contained a lot of useful tools and experience about management. When I need anything, he will share with me, I benefited from his coaching
– Manager, China
Swee Heng has inspired many of my directors and managers to sharpen their axe and become great. He is widely respected as a first-rate trainer, coach and role-model.
– CEO, Exhibition & conference services, Thailand and China
ABOUT THE TRAINER
As one participant put it, Mr. Tan Swee Heng is a dynamic presenter & facilitator with the ability to engage his audience, spur thinking and sustain positive energy throughout his session. He uses concrete, relevant examples and presents in a clear and fun manner.
Swee Heng specialises in leadership, mindset and culture improvement. He is a solution-focused Professional Certified Coach with the International Coaching Federation (ICF). His book “Coaching In The Moment – How busy leaders can make more impact with less time” is available in major bookstores from August 2017.
As an experienced and well-grounded executive coach, mentor and facilitator in the region, Swee Heng brings results & change in 3 areas:
1) Coaching leaders and teams to acquire effective mindsets & become Integral Leaders
2) Engaging leaders and teams to be effective in managing performance and relationships
3) Nurturing leaders to develop a positive team and organisational culture of solutions and achievements
He works with both commercial and public organisations supporting CEOs, Managing Directors, Department Leaders and Talents to embark on critical journeys to develop greater strengths. Many leaders benefited from Swee Heng’s 38 years of practical organisational experiences at both the Regional Management Board and ground levels, bringing with him essential breadth, depth and wealth of experience and expertise to each discussion.
Swee Heng trains and coaches in Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, India, Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia for clients that include the Monetary Authority of Singapore, Ernst & Young, Singtel, Changi Airport Group, Reed Exhibitions, Elsevier, Grohe-Lixil Group, DBS Bank, Jebsen & Jessen Group, Damen Shipyards, Biomin, Sto SEA, the Institute of Internal Auditors and Polytechnics, National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Eduction, National Arts Council and the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore. He was also previously a business school faculty member at the SP Jain School of Global Management.
Swee Heng was, from Year 2000 to 2010, the regional Human Resource Director for Reed Business in Asia Pacific, a division of Reed Elsevier plc. He led Deloitte Singapore’s HR from 1997-2000. Swee Heng had also held key strategic and operational positions in the Ministry of Defence (Air Force). He has been practice leader in coaching, training and facilitation since 2010.
Swee Heng is a Certified Coach and Facilitator in global systems such as:
- Member of International Coaching Federation (Accredited Professional Coach)
- Certified Solution-focused Coach (awarded by the University of Toronto)
- Certified Marshall Goldsmith’s Stakeholders’ Centered Executive Coach
- Accredited with Life Style Inventory (LSI) / Leadership Impact (LI)
- Certified Action Reﬂection Learning Coach
- Certified Enneagram Coach
- Accredited with Social Style Communication System
He holds the following academic qualifications:
- MBA In International Management from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT)
- Degree in Management from Murdoch University
- Diploma of Psychology from the Singapore Human Resource Institute